04 Dec 10 Specialty Food and Grocery Shopping Habits of Millennials
GenX shoppers are currently the highest spenders in grocery, but Millennials will likely pass them up within the next decade as their families grow. Despite shopping more often across all types of shopping trips than the average US shopper, they are not the highest spenders on average. What they shop for and how they shop is different than previous generations. As their families and food spending habits grow, here are 10 things to know about how and what Millennials shop for to capture their share of wallet at the grocery store.
Here are the top 10 things marketers and retailers need to know about Millennial shoppers:
- Not Brand loyal – Less brand loyal than the GenX or Boomers, who are passionate about their grocery brands. Millennial shoppers are more likely to switch brands to get a better deal and 57% say they purchase store brands to save money.
- More price savvy – More likely to pay attention to the price per pound/ounce of products, 61% agree they choose products based on their ability to make more meals at the lowest cost.
- Care about ingredients – 60% look at the product labels and packaging before buying. They care about the nutritional and ingredients information.
- Buy more specialty foods – Millennials spend the largest share of dollars on specialty foods. They buy specialty foods for: clean ingredients, superior quality and to treat themselves.
- Use mobile tools – 60% of Millennials are using mobile apps for grocery coupons or discounts; and they also use mobile to find and check recipes.
- Make more frequent visits – Millennials shop more often across all types of shopping trips than the average US Shopper with 4.7 routine trips per month vs. 4.1 trips for total U.S. shoppers and 4.2 last-minute trips per month vs. 3.5 for total U.S. shoppers.
- Most likely to use social media to talk or learn about food.
- Favor convenience and ease – most likely to prepare meals from an ingredient delivery service or purchase ready-to-eat meals from the store.
- Buy a lot of specialty sweet treats – ice cream, frozen desserts, cookies, brownie, cakes and pies
- Their top food trend interest is high-protein snacks and season products.
Millennials today love to treat themselves. They are passionate about quality products and ingredients that they know are good for them. However, that doesn’t necessarily make them exorbitant spenders. Making sure that they get the best deal is almost, if not, equally as important to them. So even though millennials like to treat themselves, it’s imperative to understand that with resources like mobile coupons and social media, they know what they’re doing and how to spend smart.
GenX Leads in Grocery Spending, But Millennial Families Are Catching Up, from Retail Touchpoints
The State of The Specialty Food Industry 2018, from Specialty Food Association